On the heels of President Obama signing theJOBS Act (which loosens regulations on small businesses, making it easier for startups to grow), the Wall Street Journal published an article Thursday afternoon attributing much of the success of the bill to Steve Case, co-founder of AOL and venture capitalist.
Case co-chaired the National Advisory Council on Innovation & Entrepreneurship and was a member of the President’s Council on Jobs & Competitiveness.
“He’s really been pivotal in terms of being able to present a case for why we need this bill, why we need to get rid of red tape that’s blocking start-up companies to begin and to grow,” House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R., Va.) told the Wall Street Journal.
Case wrote about the virtues and complexities of the JOBS Act, the goal of which is to “provide better access to capital for a wide range of companies, in a variety of sectors and regions – and provide new options for accessing capital at each stage of a company’s lifecycle,” he explained.
In his post, Case explained that startup growth has declined due to an inability to secure investors and funding. “But access to capital was critical,” his post says, “and that’s why I’ve spent time in recent months helping to build bipartisan support for the JOBS Act.”
[Image via whitehouse.gov]
- Steve Case: Entrepreneurs are American heroes (venturebeat.com)
- AOL Founder Steve Case On The JOBS Act: Not A Big Deal In Silicon Valley, ‘Really Important’ In Detroit (techcrunch.com)
- Q&A: Steve Case On Startups, Living Social, Zipcar And More (forbes.com)
- Startup America To Help Curb Sliding Startup Job Creation (nibletz.com)
- Startup America gets official launch in Phoenix with Seed Spot (bizjournals.com)
- Who Steve Case is betting on now (tech.fortune.cnn.com)
- AOL founder Steve Case on the JOBS Act: Not A Big Deal in Silicon Valley, ‘really important’ in Detroit (nextlevelofnews.com)
- Steve Case on How to Stimulate Innovation (techonomy.com)
- New report shows huge drop in startup jobs (but don’t just think tech) (gigaom.com)